Wednesday 8 January 2014

This is not a fashion blog.



As much as I know I love writing now, I had never originally intended to. I didn't even realise I had some form of burning passion about it until about the half way point of my blogging, two years ago. At age 8 I scrawled "Writer" down as one of three things I wanted to be when I grew up however I'm sure that was only because my favourite author at the time, Jacqueline Wilson had said she had always known she wanted to be a writer. (the other two were fashion designer and dancer, FYI)

I never 'got' writing really. Where as Jacqueline, like most writers,  said she could fill school exercise books with stories at a young age I'd never been one to come up pages and pages of fiction. Now of course writing a humble little blog is completely different to being an amazing, published children's author who I will forever adore and admire but it still shares a common love, or at least interest in writing.


At age 14 blogging was a no more then a simple occasional hobby. It filled the yawn of my year ten work experience and back then no one I knew was doing it so I of course, the girl who relishes her outsider status, jumped straight into the fun. Back then on my first blog, I was just commenting about the clothes and accessories I liked and although that's how I found my writing style, it wasn't until I starting expanding on my subject matter I really found my writing love. As previously stated, writing lengths of imaginative prose in childhood seemed a totally alien concept to me but clearly what didn't was writing about life. My first diary entry was at 7 years old, and at aged 10 I created my first magazine. I may not have been the typical fiction fanatic but I definitely had an early love of journalism, although I only discovered this via blogging a good number of years later.


One thing I always wanted for my blog however, was outfit posts. I've always enjoyed sharing my quirky personal style and wanted to do this online.  Things however had previously never really ended up that way. A culmination of a lot of different factors, things like a lack of people to take photographs and no real time for it among GCSE's and A Levels meant over the four years and two blogs I wrote, photos documenting my fashion choices were few and far between.

                                              A rare outfit post from 2011.

The direction I wanted this blog to take had outfit posts at a big part. This time round I've lots of spare time and a person willing and able to take regular photos for me. But after just two 'What I wore' posts, I'm scraping the idea of it all. I always wanted to be a fashion blogger, believe me I really did. Sharing outfits, creating lookbooks and revealing shopping trip purchases where high on the list of things I wanted to blog about, but now I've the chance I'm realized I'm just not cut out for that. I could do it, but I don't want to.

I'm not very good at doing things by halves because I'm a 'all or nothing' passionate person. My best work comes when I'm truly and creatively inspired by something or someone, regardless of the subject matter. I've spent years in education handing in essays and assignments lacking in quality because there has been no drive or desire behind them. There have been average exam results all through life because of a lack of fire in my heart, not a lack of ability. When it comes to this blog, something I want to do for me, as an outlet I want to create and inspire with, I can't help but feel the lack of love for short, quick and simple posts on what chose out of my wardrobe.

If I'm really going to stick out blogging for this year, It needs to go hand and hand with fire, passion and enthusiasm. So although my love of style and fashion may be a part of my online world and something I occasionally will write about it,  my love for life and questioning every aspect of it will be the main focus of this blog. I'm glad to have accidentally found myself as writer, for it helps me to voice my opinions of things I feel matter and it makes me feel I can actually make a difference to things in a small way.  I hope however that this blog somehow intentionally finds you and helps you to find things you never knew you were passionate about - things that make you want to change the world.




1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about the all or nothing bit! There's so much I want to write about so many different things that I wouldn't want to limit myself to one thing either. I love fashion blogs but what I love more is reading about people and their passions and their fears and everything in between! x

    ReplyDelete